Home | My Twitter | Email: rodolfojreregia[at]yahoo.com |

Monday, May 20, 2013

Reading Challenge Day 1: Carl Hiaasen's Skinny Dip

As Day 1 of the infamous 30-Day Reading Challenge, I have chosen Carl Hiaasen's Skinny Dip as the "Best Book You Read This Year."

I had been very busy for a couple of months and reading had few opportunities to take my attention, but I could never abandon my love for books. So if I had time to spare, I would grab a book and read away. Unfortunately, I had little thus I had read few books for the past five months (too few in my opinion). And the best among them is Skinny Dip.

Carl Hiaasen's Skinny Dip
Marine Biologist Chaz Perrone forgot that his wife, Joey, was a star swimming athlete when he threw her off a cruise liner. Now the estranged wife seeks revenge, with the help of an ex-cop Mick Stranahan. But in Chaz's world, separating lies from truth and stupidity from brilliance wouldn't be easy, and it doesn't help that Chaz is just plain terrible at being caught.

The plot is formulaic but Hiaasen's words are so smooth that the humor simply breezes through you like fresh air. You will have plenty of laughs from this revenge novel. But if you were to dig deeper, Hiaasen is simply mocking us by going through subjects of ambition, greed, disappointments and vanity. And through beautiful and sharp writing, he lectures while being at his funniest and most entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment


             I heart Validator              Wikipedia Affiliate Button

Personal - Top Blogs Philippines