Home | My Twitter | Email: rodolfojreregia[at]yahoo.com |

Monday, May 27, 2013

Reading Challenge Day 7: Sylvia Louise Engdahl's Enchantress from the Stars

There are many underrated books, book that had not gained the attention the material deserves or simply overshadowed by books that are less of quality yet somehow became popular (I am looking at you, Shades of Grey). So for Day 7 of the 30 Day Reading Challenge, the most underrated book for me is Sylvia Louise Engdahl's Enchantress from the Stars.

Elana, a trainee for an advanced civilization called the "Federation", is unfortunately caught in a mission to save a planet from invasion. The tricky part, both Younglings (races of the primitive and their the invaders) must not know that there are more advanced civilizations other than them. So, after dire consequences, she must disguise as an enchantress to guide a young peasant to save his planet. Georyn leads a simple life. But all of that must change when a dragon begins to plague the kingdom he lives in. And in order to defeat the beast, he and his brother turns to an enchantress for help. To medical officer Jarel of the Imperial Forces, the planet Andrecia is a big mystery. Even more when he begins to interact with its people and when he encounters a female specie of the planet, who seems more mysterious than the stars. But in Andrecia, things are not as easy as said, and to gain peace and success, one must make ultimate sacrifices.

Wow. This is one of the first few novels I read early on, and still remains as one of the best I've read. I wouldn't be surprised if you haven't heard of it, as I believe it lacks the attention the book rightfully deserves.

The novel is told in three different perspective of the different level of advancement of the worlds. Elana's narrative focuses with hope, faith and love despite the dangers her people encounters. Georyn's point of view on the other hand is told in a fairy-tale like fashion, as his people believe in dragons and magic. And Jarel's weave all three through his point of view which is full of curiosity and passion.

I read this when I was in high school and never got to see a copy of it in local bookstores. I later learned that this is now out of print. A shame. People ought to read books like this rather than spend time with useless ones. If you see a copy, take it. I promise that you'll have a great time reading it. Or if you are not into reading, sell it to me. I would like to have my copy of the book that taught me that reading is a wondrous thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment


             I heart Validator              Wikipedia Affiliate Button

Personal - Top Blogs Philippines