Home | My Twitter | Email: rodolfojreregia[at]yahoo.com |

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Reading Challenge Day 9: Robert Fulghum's All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten

I always had hated the idea of reading self-help or preachy books. I find them unnecessary. I really do. But for Day 9 of the 30 Day Reading Challenge, I choose Robert Fulghum's All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten as the book that I thought I wouldn't like but end up loving.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten
Here Fulghum engages us with musings on life, death, love, pain, joy, sorrow, and the best chicken-fried steak in the continental U.S.A. The little seed in the Styrofoam cup offers a reminder about our own mortality and the delicate nature of life . . . a spider who catches (and loses) a full-grown woman in its web one fine morning teaches us about surviving catastrophe . . . the love story of Jean-Francois Pilatre and his hot air balloon reminds us to be brave and unafraid to “fly” . . . life lessons hidden in the laundry pile . . . magical qualities found in a box of crayons . . . hide-and-seek vs. sardines—and how these games relate to the nature of God. All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten is brimming with the very stuff of life and the significance found in the smallest details. (via GoodReads.com)

Preachy books are never my thing, however, I tried reading this because Bob Ong is very vocal that this is one of the books that had influenced him. And after reading the collection, he was right. All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten is a great read! Although it may take some time to adjust to its prose, but once you do, you'll love it! Infact, I have read more than 3 times already.

The first edition will be a little rough, so I suggest grab the 15th Anniversary Edition, as it is more streamlined. What is great with Fulghum is that he doesn't preach about changing lives by giving up sums of money or becoming somewhat a superhero, but asks us to pause and appreciate the small things in life. That God is indeed in the smallest of the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment


             I heart Validator              Wikipedia Affiliate Button

Personal - Top Blogs Philippines